- (under review) Wu, Hongchen, and Larson, Richard. Topicality and Mandarin Quantifier Scope.
- (forthcoming) Wu, Hongchen, and Jiwon Yun. Processing of the Mandarin polarity item renhe ‘any’. Language and Linguistics. [PDF]
- Wu, Hongchen, and Yang, Zhao. 2018. 英语、韩语母语者汉语否定标记习得研究 [‘L2 Chinese Acquisition of Negative Markers by English- and Korean-speaking Learners’]. 世界汉语教学 [‘Chinese Teaching in the World‘] 2: 256-269. (written in Chinese; English abstract included) [PDF] (Note: This journal is a Chinese Core Journal and ranked as 1st in Linguistics, according to the 2018 Chinese Social Sciences Journals AMI Evaluation Reports, Chinese Social Sciences Research Evaluation Center)
- Wu, Hongchen. 2013. 从集合论角度看语义和谐律的逻辑限制条件 [‘Logical Constraints for Semantic Harmony Principle in terms of Set Theory’], 山东大学研究生学志[‘Postgraduate Journal of Shandong University’], Volume 1, Page 125-131. (written in Chinese)
Abstract Refereed Conference Proceedings
- Wu, Hongchen, Richard Larson, Yaobin Liu, Lei Liu, and Gary Mar. 2018. Rethinking quantifier scope in Mandarin. In Proceedings of the North Eastern Linguistics Society Annual Meeting 48 (NELS 48), ed. by Sherry Hucklebridge and Max Nelson, vol. 3, 257-263. Amherst: University of Massachusetts, GLSA.
- Lee, So Young, Lei Liu, Hongchen Wu, and Jiwon Yun. 2018. Syntax and Prosody Interface of Wh-Scope in Mandarin. 9th International Conference on Speech Prosody 2018, 913-916. (DOI: 10.21437/SpeechProsody.2018)
- Lee, So Young , Hongchen Wu, Lei Liu, and Jiwon Yun. 2017. Prosody and wh-scope interpretation in Chinese. In Proceedings of the 29th North American Conference on Chinese Linguistics (NACCL-29). ed. by Lan Zhang, vol. 2, 373-380. University of Memphis, Memphis, TN.
- Chen, Estella Y. M., Huei-Yi Lai, Jing Zhang, and Hongchen Wu. 2016. A Model to Evaluate Mandarin Learning MOOCs. In Mohammad Khalil et al. (eds.), Proceedings of the EUROPEAN STAKEHOLDER SUMMIT on Experiences and Best Practices in and around MOOCs (EMOOCs 2016), 401-408.
- Wu, Hongchen. 2012. A Review and Comment on the Research of Wh-indeﬁnites in Mandarin, Proceedings of the 5th Symposium on Teaching Chinese as a second language for Beijing Graduate students (archived by China National Knowledge Infrastructure, www.cnki.net). (in Chinese).
&Recent Presentations (Refereed Conferences)
– Quantifier Scope
- Richard Larson and Hongchen Wu. Quantifier Scope and Topicality in Mandarin. 26th Meetings of the International Association of Chinese Linguistics (IACL).
Universityof Wisconsin-Madison. (May 6, 2018)
- Hongchen Wu, Richard Larson. Topicality and quantifier scope in Mandarin. NACCL-30 (the 30th North American Conference on Chinese Linguistics), Columbus, Ohio, USA. (March 9, 2018)
- Hongchen Wu, Yaobin Liu, Lei Liu, Gary Mar. On thawing frozen scope.
ISOCTAL-2 (the 2nd International Symposium on Chinese Theoretical and Applied Linguistics), Milan, Italy. (December 15, 2017)
- Hongchen Wu, Richard Larson, Yaobin Liu, Lei Liu, and Gary Mar. Rethinking quantifier scope in Mandarin. NELS-48 (the 48th Annual Meeting of the North East Linguistic Society), Reykjavík, Iceland. (October 29, 2017)
– Relative Clauses
- Hongchen Wu. The head raising analysis of Mandarin prenominal relative clause. IACL 26 (the 26th Annual Conference of International Association of Chinese Linguistics), Madison, Wisconsin, USA. (May 5, 2018)
– Experiments (both offline and online) on Negative Polarity Item
- Hongchen Wu and Jiwon Yun. Licensing of Mandarin NPI renhe in a relative clause environment. LSA 2019 Annual Meeting. New York, USA. (January 3, 2019)
- Jun Lyu, Hongchen Wu, Aydogan Yanilmaz and John Drury. ERP effects distinguishing Negative polarity versus Free choice: A look at English ANY and Mandarin RENHE. CUNY 2018 (the 31st Annual CUNY Sentence Processing Conference), UC Davis, CA, USA. (March 15, 2018)
- Hongchen Wu, Jun
Lyu, Aydogan Yanilmaz, John E. Drury. ANY ERP effects. SNL 2017 (the Ninth Annual Meeting of the Society for the Neurobiology of Language), Baltimore, Maryland, USA. (November 9, 2017)
– Experiments on wh-scope
- So Young Lee, Lei Liu, Hongchen Wu, and Jiwon Yun. Syntax and prosody interface of wh-Scope in Mandarin. Speech Prosody 9 conference, Poznan, Poland (June 16, 2018)
- So Young Lee, Hongchen Wu, Lei Liu, and Jiwon Yun. The effect of surface syntactic positions of wh-phrases on wh-scope. IACL 26 (the 26th Annual Conference of International Association of Chinese Linguistics), Madison, Wisconsin, USA. (May 4, 2018)
- So Young Lee, Hongchen Wu, Lei Liu, and Jiwon Yun. The difference between perception and production of prosodic information in Chinese wh-scope disambiguation. PLC-42 (the 42nd Annual Penn Linguistics Conference), Philadelphia, PA, USA. (March 25, 2018)
- So Young Lee, Hongchen Wu, Lei Liu, Siyao Peng, Jiwon Yun. Prosodic disambiguation of wh-scope in Chinese. IACL-25 (the 25th Annual Meeting of the International Association of Chinese Linguistics), Budapest, Hungary. (June 25, 2017)
- So Young Lee, Hongchen Wu, Lei Liu, Siyao Peng, Yaobin Liu, Jiwon Yun. Prosody and wh-scope interpretation in Chinese. NACCL-29 (the 29th North American Conference on Chinese Linguistics), New Brunswick, NJ, USA. (June 17, 2017)
Recent Presentations (invited talk & non-referred conferences)
- 2019 Processing of the Mandarin polarity item renhe ‘any’. Theoretical and Experimental Linguistics 2019. Tshinghua University, Beijing, China. (June 29, 2019)
- 2018 Topicality and quantifier scope in Mandarin. Invited talk for NYU Syntax Brown Bag, New York University, New York, NY, USA. (April 27, 2018)
- (under review) Jun Liu and Hongchen Wu, Chinese international students in the US.
- 2017 Hongchen Wu (the Proofreader of the Chinese version), 文化全球化与语言教育 (Cultural Globalization and Language Education, a book by B. Kumaravadivelu), Beijing Language and Culture University Press.
- 2013 Hongchen Wu (member of Editorial Committee), A Handbook of Academic Test for Teaching Chinese as a Second Language,
University Press. ZheJiang